The Grand Lodge of England warranted a Lodge in North Carolina at Wilmington in March, 1754 or 1755. This was afterwards known as Saint John's, No. 1. A Grand Lodge s of North Carolina was organized in 1771 which met at New Bern and Edenton, but its early history is obscure owing to the supposed destruction of the records by the English during the War of the Revolution. Representatives of seven Lodges, Unanimity, Saint John's, Royal Edwin, Royal White Hart, Royal William, Union and Blandford-Bute, met on December 9, 1787, to reorganize the Grand Lodge. In 1856 Saint John's College was established at Oxford, but during the war of 1861-5, when it was vacated by the students, it was converted into one of the best orphan homes in the country. In charity as in everything else this Grand Lodge has always achieved success.
The first mention of Capitular Freemasonry in North Carolina occurs in the Proceedings of the fourth Convocation of the General Grand Chapter where it appears that a Charter was to have been issued to Concord Chapter at Wilmington, May 4, 1815, by the General Grand King. He also granted one to Phoenix Chapter at Fayetteville, September 1, 1815.
fit the thirteenth Convocation of the General Grand Chapter held on September 14, 1847, at Columbus, Ohio, the General Grand Secretary reported that a Grand Chapter of North Carolina had once existed but had ceased work twenty years before; that according to information just received it had lately been reorganized. An Assembly of representatives of three Chapters had duly adopted a Constitution and elected officers on June 98, 1847. On September 16, 1847, the Grand Chapter of North Carolina was, after the alteration of one or two articles in its Constitution, granted legal authority by the General Grand Chapter of the United States.
Five Councils had been chartered in North Carolina before the organization of the Grand Council. In each ease the document was signed by the Supreme Council of the Southern Jurisdiction. All five were represented at a Convention for the organization of the Grand Council at Fayetteville, June 21, 1822. In 1859 the Grand Chapter resisted an attempt to incorporate the Degrees with the Chapter by a declaration to the effect that it desired to exercise no such control. A Grand Council was organized June 6, 1860, but owing to the Civil War no meeting was held until 1866, and in 1883 it was dissolved altogether. The Degrees then came under the control of the Grand Chapter until 1887 when the Grand Council was again established.
The first official mention of Templarism in North Carolina appeared in the Proceedings of the Grand Encampment of the United States for September 19, 1826. The issue of a Charter to Fayetteville Encampment among others on December 21, 1821, was the item in question. This Encampment ceased work at an early date and the details about an attempt made in 1845 to start another are not known. On September 16, 1850, it was resolved by the General Grand Encampment of the United States to grant renewed authority to Fayetteville and Wilmington. On January 10, 1881, the Grand Commandery of North Carolina was established.
On November 91, 1892, Asheville Lodge of Perfection, No. 1, at Asheville, was granted a Charter. Charters were issued to a Chapter of Rose Croix, a Council of Kadosh, and a Consistory, all located at Charlotte, namely, Mecklenburg, No. 1, October 5, 1901; Charlotte, No. 1, October 23, 1907; Carolina, No. 1, December 18, 1907, respectively, under the Southern Jurisdiction of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite.
Owned & Operated Exclusively by Members of the Masonic Family
Tradition, Integrity, Trust.
© 2018 The Ashlar Company
“Received my ring today!
Outstanding thank you!”
Brother Huggy Graham, Perth, Scotland