Washington was separated from Oregon by Act of Congress on March 2, 1853. There were at the time four chartered Lodges in the new Territory, all of which gave allegiance to Oregon, namely, Olympia, No. 5, chartered in 1853 and the first Lodge to be established north of the Columbia River and west of the Rocky Mountains; Steilacoom, No. 8; Grand Mound, No. 21, and Washington, No. 22. A Convention was held on December 6, 1858, at which Brother Charles Byles presided to consider the formation of a Grand Lodge of Washington. At a meeting held on December 8, 1858, a Constitution was adopted and a Lodge of Master Masons was opened. Grand Officers were elected as follows; Grand Master, T. F. McElroy; Deputy Grand Master, James A. Graham; Senior Grand Warden, James Byles; Junior Grand Warden, Levi Farnsworth; Grand Treasurer, J. M. Bachelder, and Grand Secretary, Thomas M. Reed. The Grand Master was then installed and on the following day the Grand Lodge was opened with due ceremony in Ample Form.
Seattle Chapter, No. 1, was granted a Dispensation November 1, 1869, but did not have a prosperous career and its Charter was declared forfeited on August 27, 1880. Its number was given to Walla Walla Chapter which had been given a Dispensation February 13, 1871, and a Charter at the same time as Seattle Chapter on September 20, 1871. By authority of the General Grand High Priest a Convention was held at Walla Walla on October 2, 1884, by the three Chapters, Walla Walla, No. 1; Spokane, No. 2; Seattle, No. 3, and arrangements for a Grand Chapter were completed.
Tacoma Council, No. 1, at Tacoma was warranted on February 9, 1891, and chartered July 21, 1891. By Dispensation of the General Grand Master, dated May 31, 1895, a Convention was held at Tacoma to organize a Grand Council. It met on June 5, adopted a Constitution and elected Grand Officers who were installed by the Special Deputy, Elijah M. Beatty. Washington Commandery, No. 1, was organized by Dispensation issued April 19, 1882, at Walla Walla. Its Charter was dated August 23, 1883. This, with three other constituent Commanderies, Seattle, No. 2; Cataract, No. 3, and Ivanhoe, No. 4, came under the control of the Grand Commandery of the Territory when it was organized on June 2, 1887. On March 13, 1872, three Charters were granted to Bodies of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction, at Seattle, namely, Washington Lodge of Perfection, No. 1; Washington Chapter of Rose Croix, No. 1, and Washington Council of Kadosh, No. 1. Lawson Consistory, No. 1, was chartered, also at Seattle, on November 11, 1883.
Owned & Operated Exclusively by Members of the Masonic Family
Tradition, Integrity, Trust.
© 2018 The Ashlar Company
“Really good craft enjoy the company and being a fellow brother”
Brother James, Asheville, NC
You are currently visiting masonicencyclopedia.com